New Jersey Breakfast Tour.


Welcome to the NJ Breakfast Tour Blog. We're a group of breakfast enthusiasts touring the best and worst of Breakfast, that Northern Jersey has to offer. These reviews are the opinion of the NJ Breakfast Tour only and do not neccessarily reflect the opinions of others..

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Long Valley Pub and Brewery


1 Fairmount Ave, Long Valley, NJ 07853

http://www.restaurantvillageatlongvalley.com/

Nestled at the foot of Schooley’s Mountain in the heart of scenic Long Valley, New Jersey, the Long Valley Pub and Brewery resides in a breathtakingly restored 200-year-old barn. But that's not why we were here. We weren't here to sample their award-winning brews either.


Steve's Review:




We came here for two reasons. To chew bubblegum and to conquer the Brunch Buffet... and we were all out of bubblegum. We were seated upstairs, where the buffet is located. Looking around, The place seemed to have a nice, cozy, warm, rustic atmosphere.
Did I mention it's in a 200-year-old restored barn? I suppose that's why.

At first glance it looked like a nice spread - Eight Silver, Hot Chaffing dishes on one side and Cold, salad, seafood, cold-cuts, bagels breads, pastries and fresh sliced fruit, on the other side, At the end is a carving station and an omelette chef.

Some of the Hot dishes included, Bacon, Sausage, Taylor Ham, Quiche, Home Fries, French Toast, Pancakes, Eggs Benedict and more. Everything I tried was good, with the exception of the Pancakes, which were a little chewy and rubbery, I can imagine that it's a little difficult to keep pancakes fresh, hot and soft in a buffet situation - so I was willing to forgive that, Besides, The French Toast was good enough to make up for it. So, in the Breakfast department (Which was why I was here) it appeared they had all the breakfast essentials covered.

In the beginning, I was a bit dissapointed that there were no eggs, until I spotted the omelette chef. I had him whip up a fresh, made-to-order omlette for me, in which I requested the toppings of Jalapeños and Cheddar Cheese. It was a decent omlette and I thought it went well with the Home fries, that were very savory as well. Overall, I think it's a nice Sunday Brunch buffet, and I think for $20 bucks a head, you can easily get your money's worth.
Nice place, nice buffet.


Sc00tz'S Review:



Long Valley Pub and Brewery Offers excellent value by giving you high quality food at a reasonable price in a unique and interesting atmosphere.


What an impressive atmostphere, something about being inside a big stone barn is very comforting, it felt very roomy but still nice and warm and there was even a fireplace. I would have to give the atmosphere a 5 out of 5. But these reviews are mostly about the food, so lets continue. There was a good variety of food both breakfast and lunch time foods. There were sliced melons and fruits as well as a veggie platter and a cheese platter. I really liked the custom made omelets mine really hit the spot. There were Eggs Benedict and Quiche as well as pancakes and French Toast, Bacon and sausage and Taylor ham. Breakfast was well represented.

Im not even going to go into the lunch food. They had too many hot foods to try all of them, and I didnt find anything that was sub par. I liked the fact that this was a pub because I would have like to come for lunch and have a beer with my meal but it was a bit too early in the day for me to drink. I would definitely go back.



BiggieB's Review:



Suggested from a friend of mine that lives in Long Valley I sent an email using the contact form on their web site asking about their Sunday Brunch and promptly receive an email from Andrea, the Director of Marketing at Restaurant Village, stating “…we have a super fabulous brunch on Sundays!!!” Her reply certainly got my interest and I decided to give it a try. Upon arriving we were greeted at the front door and brought upstairs to the dining room. The dining room was a wide open space, very cozy and beautiful with stone walls and high ceilings. We were seated and the host joked and asked if we were “Professional Buffet Eaters” and we laughed at his joke but then it set in and we were wondering if he said that because he thought we were fat; didn’t quite know how to take his joke.
A few moments later our waitress came over and said “I heard you are professional buffet eaters”, again, how do we take this joke? She took our drink order and we were on our way. I asked for Coffee and water but subsequently she only brought me my coffee. I needed water to take very important prescription medicine; I waited a while before I asked her again for water at which she finally accommodated me. So, we walk to up the buffet and it looks beautiful! No doubt there is tons of different foods to choose from and everything looks fresh and delicious. I admit I was a bit overwhelmed at first and filled my first plate with French toast, pancakes and Egg Benedict until
I feasted my eyes on the pile of crab legs and shrimp! It was then that I ditched my first plate back at the table and went back and loaded up on the shrimp, crab legs and smoked salmon with all the accompaniments such as diced red onions and capers! I am a sucker for seafood and I am hard pressed to pick anything else on a buffet table when there is seafood! I went back to our table and started to munch and find out there is no regular sugar for our coffee and I was not given a spoon to even stir in the sugar if I had it.

After asking for more sugar our waitress provided us with several packs, but I still did not have a method of blending the sugar into my hot coffee. Speaking of coffee, I was surprised our coffee was not topped off from time to time, my coffee actually got cold. After going back a couple times to load up on seafood I decided to give the omelet dude a chance and he came through with flying colors. The freshly made omelet was fantastic. One thing missing from the buffet tables were scrambled eggs. This is the second “high-end” buffet (Perona Farms being the other) we have gone to that did not have scrambled eggs and I would have given a higher score if they had some. Aren’t scrambled eggs a prerequisite for breakfast buffets?

Regarding the shrimp, they certainly make you work for your shrimp and you will have to peel them yourself. The shrimp were large and very tasty yet they were a bit firm, perhaps because they were previously frozen. And speaking of frozen, the crab legs were still partially frozen (icy inside) and was a disappointment. In summary, I liked this Brunch Buffet and the food was very tasty and fresh. I believe $20 is a good value for what we got and the restaurant was warm and cozy and they even played rock music downstairs at the bar at a nice level that was enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment